Thursday 2 January 2014

Defy by Sara B Larson eArc Review!

17406847

Buy The Book Now at The Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide   Goodreads_icon_32x32

Title : Defy
Author : Sara B Larson
Pages : 336 Pages
Published : January 7th 2014 by Scholastic Press

A lush and gorgeously written debut, packed with action, intrigue, and a thrilling love triangle.

Alexa Hollen is a fighter. Forced to disguise herself as a boy and serve in the king's army, Alex uses her quick wit and fierce sword-fighting skills to earn a spot on the elite prince's guard. But when a powerful sorcerer sneaks into the palace in the dead of night, even Alex, who is virtually unbeatable, can't prevent him from abducting her, her fellow guard and friend Rylan, and Prince Damian, taking them through the treacherous wilds of the jungle and deep into enemy territory.

The longer Alex is held captive with both Rylan and the prince, the more she realizes that she is not the only one who has been keeping dangerous secrets. And suddenly, after her own secret is revealed, Alex finds herself confronted with two men vying for her heart: the safe and steady Rylan, who has always cared for her, and the dark, intriguing Damian. With hidden foes lurking around every corner, is Alex strong enough to save herself and the kingdom she's sworn to protect?


My Thoughts : 

When Alexas parents are murdered, herself and her brother know that the only way she will survive is to pretend to be a boy. If she is found she will be forced to go to the breeding house. and that's something she would rather die than do so she dresses and acts like a boy. Both Alexa , now Alex, and her brother join the Kings army and through skill alone she manages to become one of the Princes personal guard. 

She is the toughest and best fighter the army has but when a sorcerer comes to the castle she is out maned. and Alex, Rylan and Prince Damian are captured and taken prisoner. During the deadly trek through the jungle all is not as it seems. 

I was really hesitant to read this because of the dreaded love triangle. I hate them!! After seeing a lot of great reviews though I caved and read it. I am so so glad I did. I absolutely loved it!!!

Alexa is such a kick ass character. She is the toughest fighter in the army and no one can beat her with a sword. She is tough, strong and loyal  but also kind, caring and dedicated. She is the kind of character where you start reading and immediately love. Her parents are killed and instead of hiding she makes herself indispensable to the Prince. 

She has been pretending to be a boy for years but is also hiding the crush she has on her fellow guard and friend Rylan. He is kind, caring and seems to be perfect for her but she cant show him her feelings because to him she is a boy. Then when they are kidnapped she finds herself having feelings towards Prince Damian. Where did these feelings come from and who should she choose?

Rylan is strong, kind, sweet and loves Alexa. He promises her brother he will look out for her and he does every step of the way. He knows her secret but still treats her like an equal. 

Then we have Prince Damian who at first comes across as an arrogant and spoilt brat but as the story progresses we see the other side of him and its a side I much prefer. He carries a lot of secrets that slowly unravel and he is more than he seems.  He is strong, kind and loves his people and land. His father is a tyrant and Damian has to do what he can to try to survive. He confides some things to Alexa and they become friends. I loved how his relationship with Alexa progressed. It was a slow burner but so sweet and nice. 

Overall Defy was an epic story filled with strong characters who will capture your heart. The world the author has created is magical, suspenseful, heartbreaking and captivating. Its filled with secrets, twists, lovable characters and a story that will have you wanting more. When I started Defy I found it really hard to put down and I was constantly wondering what would happen next. This is a story that will stay with me and I'm eagerly awaiting more from this author. 



9 comments:

  1. Hmm I never heard of this book until I saw you were reading it sounds different except for the love triangle haha I didn't know you hated them too!!

    The book sounds like Mulan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate love triangles but this wasn't really a love triangle per say!! Its really good :)

      Delete
  2. my copy of this book just shipped and i totally cant wait to read it. i love books like this but hate love triangles but your review makes me want to talk the postie :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so hesitant to read this because of the love triangle but it doesn't play a big part!! Hope you enjoy it :)

      Delete
  3. I'm reading this book tonight! :) So so soooo excited for it, especially after reading your review :) Love kick-ass heroines and the plot line sounds pretty good! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just recently heard about this book and wasnt sold on it but I liked your review so I think I will give it a chance. Although, still not a fan of the love triangle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate love triangles and tend to steer clear of tyhem but this I sent really what I'd call a love triangle. She has a clear favourite :) If you do read it I hope you enjoy.

      Delete