Saturday 29 March 2014

House Of Ivy and Sorrow By Natalie Whipple eArc Review!



18117964Buy The Book Now at The Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide   Goodreads_icon_32x32

Title : House Of Ivy and Sorrow
Author : Natalie Whipple
Pages : 352
Published : April 15th 2014 by Harper Teen
Source : Edelweiss

Josephine Hemlock has spent the last 10 years hiding from the Curse that killed her mother. But when a mysterious man arrives at her ivy-covered, magic-fortified home, it’s clear her mother’s killer has finally come to destroy the rest of the Hemlock bloodline. Before Jo can even think about fighting back, she must figure out who she’s fighting in the first place. The more truth Jo uncovers, the deeper she falls into witchcraft darker than she ever imagined. Trapped and running out of time, she begins to wonder if the very Curse that killed her mother is the only way to save everyone she loves.

My Thoughts : 

Jos mum was killed by the curse that is following her family and she now lives with her Grandmother. She has a secret she is keeping from her friends, she is a witch and comes from a long line of strong witches. Jo is just trying to be normal and have a normal life but the day a stranger comes to her door her life changes forever! 

Can I just say that this was amazing and leave it at that!! Didn't think so ;) This really really took me by surprise. With the title and cover being so intriguing I added it to my wishlist. Then when I saw it on Edelweiss I downloaded it and couldn't wait to start it. I didn't read any reviews before starting it so went in with no expectations. Well I'm glad to say that this hooked me from the very first sentence. 

Lets start with Jo. She is hiding a part of her life from her friends and wants nothing better than a normal life. She has a huge crush on Winn and just wants to date him without her nan cursing him any time he does something. She had to watch her mother be consumed by the very curse that is threatening her. Her friends are in danger and then when she seems to have a stalker that's carrying very dark magic she has to make a choice that will change her life and that of her friends forever. I immediately liked Jo. She has a lot on her plate but is still a strong, capable, normal teenager. 

Then we have Jos Nan. She is the witch that people rumour about. She is the head of the Hemlocks and a really strong witch. Since her daughter died of the Curse she has been doing everything she can to keep Jo safe. She keeps the wards around their small town strong and still manages to give Jos boyfriend spots if he does something she doesn't like!! Again, I really liked Jos nan. She gives off the grumpy witch, don't mess with me vibe but she will and does do everything to keep Jo alive. 

I loved the witchy world that Natalie Whipple created. There is no good or bad magic, just witches that let the magic consume them! The magic does everything to try to turn you bad but you have to control it. Every witch can only have female descendants. There are no male witches, or are there?? You will have to read the book to find out ;) 

Overall House Of Ivy and Sorrow is a fantastic addition to the witch genre. Its intriguing, unique and mysterious. It will suck you and not let you go even if you want to. The romance was sweet without being overkill and you will find it hard to not love all the characters. The book is steeped in loyalty, family and rich with the witch history. I loved finding out more about the Hemlock line. 

I absolutely loved the world the author created, it was magical and totally consumed me and I hope we will see more of these characters. Id highly recommend this to everyone. 



2 comments:

  1. I kept thinking this was a contemporary novel, lol! Did not expect witchcraft at all! o__o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all a contemp!!! I absolutely loved this book :)

      Delete