Sunday 25 January 2015

Nice Dragons Finish Last by Rachel Aaron AudioBook Review!



    Nice Dragons Finish Last: Heartstrikers, Book 1 | [Rachel Aaron]
  • Written by: Rachel Aaron
  • Narrated by: Vikas Adam
  • Length: 13 hrs and 2 mins 
  • Unabridged Audiobook
  • Release Date:11-18-14


  • Publisher: Audible Studios

  • As the smallest dragon in the Heartstriker clan, Julius survives by a simple code: keep quiet, don't cause trouble, and stay out of the way of bigger dragons. But this meek behavior doesn't fly in a family of ambitious magical predators, and his mother, Bethesda the Heartstriker, has finally reached the end of her patience. 

  • Now, sealed in human form and banished to the DFZ - a vertical metropolis built on the ruins of Old Detroit - Julius has one month to prove he can be a ruthless dragon or kiss his true shape goodbye forever. But in a city of modern mages and vengeful spirits where dragons are considered monsters to be exterminated, he's going to need some serious help to survive this test. 

  • He only hopes humans are more trustworthy than dragons...

  • My Thoughts : 

  • You guys, this book was amazing! I did not want it to end. From it's well developed characters to it's witty dialogue, Nice Dragons Finish Last is a must read for everyone!!

  • This is without a doubt on of my favourite books ever! I devoured it. Everything was amazing and I'm going to list all my loves, though there aren't any dislikes because this book was magnificent.

  • I adored all the characters. Julius is the runt of the fearsome Heartstriker litter and has spent his whole life trying to avoid his many family members. His mother has had enough and sent him off to Detroit to try to prove himself. Before she sends him though, she seals his dragon within it's human form. Now Julius is no fearsome Dragon but he misses the abilities his dragon form gave him.

  • Julius is sent to the heart of the DMZ with one goal in mind and that was to survive and try to win his mothers favour before she eats him for being too nice! Julius goes to his brother who gives him the task of retrieving a runaway Dragon who doesn't want to be found. Seems easy, right? Wrong, Detroit is the magical capital and there are people and things here that will kill Dragons on site. that's why Julius is perfect for the job, with his Dragon sealed, he is no threat to anyone. With no money, no resources Julius has to find help in a city that wants to kill him. 

  • So yay, poor Julius is thrown out of his family for being too nice and told unless he turns into a proper Dragon his mother will eat him (literally). Despite the very real threat hanging over his head, he doesn't change. He is nice, polite, strong and brave! I loved him!! 

  • Then we have Marci. She is forced to run to the DMZ because her father was killed and the man who killed him wants her as well. She stole something from him that he is desperate to get back. She does a job for an old woman and ends up living in a house haunted by a dead cat! She is a mage and a strong one at that. She is desperate for money though and one evening ends up asking Julius if he needs any Mage services. Julius has no choice but to take up her offer of help because the runaway Dragoness is at a party filled with magic users. Marci and Julius strike up an agreement, with neither aware of what they are in for. 

  • Marci is a spunky and brave Mage. She is not afraid of doing things that need to be done and when she says she will do a job, she really does it. She will take no crap from anyone, no matter what they are! She is awesome. I adored Marci and Julius together, they really work well together and each brings certain strength that  compliments the other. Julius being nice and Marci being tough!! I loved seeing their friendship grow and hope we see it grow a bit more in future books!!

  • Julius has a lot of family but their were 3 major players in this book, Justin, the favourite brother who wields the families blade. He is everything that Julius isn't but still comes to Julius aid. Then we have Chelsea, she is the Dragon enforcer and is sent to right any wrongs that happen. She cleans up the Heartstriker messes and has a tough time in Detroit for various reasons because a lot can go wrong! 

  • Then we have Bob. Bob was awesome. He is the Heartstriker seer and as Julius says, is quite mad! There are only ever 3 seers! Bob is hilarious at times and I can't wait to read more about him in the next installment! 

  • The world building is another thing I adored. Magic came back into the world, along with many magical creatures and Detroit has a lot of them!! I loved finding out about the world and the creatures, I mean they even have a creature that eats magic from other creatures!! I loved when the gang are underground fighting the things in the water! So many fantastical creatures in one book!

  • There were so many laugh out loud moments in this book as well. I found myself flying through the book and not wanting to put it down. I laughed so hard near the end when Bob said the Star Wars quote! It was epic!! 

  • Anyway, I think you can tell how much I loved this book!! It's so well written that you find yourself immersed in the  world along with Julius. The author has created a magical and fantastical world filled with amazing characters. I adored everything about this book and urge everyone to read it! 

  • I listened to the audio and it was epic. I wasn't just listening to it, I was in the story! It really brought the story to life and the narrator was fantastic. I loved how he did Bob!! He did a lot of different voices and did them so well. The book is brilliant but the audio was the icing on the cake. It's one I know I will listen to again and again and again!! 

2 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read this one! I'm so glad that you loved it! Everything sounds so good; from the humor to the world building and characters. Okay I have to read this already! I hope it's going to be a series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing and so much fun Molly!!! I adored it :)

      Delete