Saturday 24 January 2015

The Gun by Daithi Kavanagh Book Highlight!




Hi guys please welcome debut author Daithi Kavanagh and his novel The Gun to the blog today. 

THE GUN
Series: The Tadhg Sullivan Series, book one
Author: Daithi Kavanagh
Released: September 2014
ISBN: 9781311474087
ASIN: B00NU8MDTA
Length: Novel
Genre: Thriller
Price: $3.99

23294325

Garda Detective Tadhg Sullivan leads a special unit that investigates politicallymotivated crime. A man known only as The Deerstalker is a cancer who has infectedthe Irish political system.
Sullivan teams up with journalist Helen Carty, and together they try tracking downthe mysterious killer. Carty adds to Sullivan’s problems, when he finds himself fallingin love with her. And further complicating things, he starts losing trust in his partner,Detective Pat Carter, who appears to be on the side of the Garda Commissioner,who Sullivan is rapidly falling out with.
Sullivan’s case is further thrown into confusion when a copycat killer, Tommy Walsh,is shot dead by the CIA. When the CIA discovers that they've killed the wrongperson, the two agents involved--Simon, who has become disillusioned by his timestationed in the Middle East, and Joey, a psychopath who confuses zealotry withpatriotism--are also in pursuit of The Deerstalker.
Sullivan finds himself in a race against time, if he is to arrest The Deerstalker beforethe CIA take him out, and use his death as a pawn in a political game of chess.Who will win out in the end?

Get your copy here:

The Gun is currently on sale for 99p/99c so grab it while you can!!!


Excerpt : 

He stared at the gun lying on the bed.  It was in his possession for nearly half his life and he’d never known what to do with it.  The funny thing was, he’d always hated guns and yet, here he was.

He heard his wife moving around downstairs and knew that very soon she would call him for a cup of tea.  He had to get the gun back into its hiding place.  

He thought back to the first time he’d seen it.  A late night knock at the door and a man from down the street had handed the gun and ammunition to him, wrapped in fertiliser bags.  

  “What the hell is this?” he’d blurted out.
  “It’s a gun,” the man had said showing no expression.
  “What are you giving it to me for?” he’d whispered, not wanting his family to hear them.”
  “Because I trust you,” he’d replied.
  “What the hell do you mean, you trust me? You hardly know me! And all I know about you is that you’re mixed up in the IRA.  I have a family and I don’t give a damn about the North.  Now please get away from my door and take that thing with you.”

The man had stared at him, but all calm had disappeared from his features.  Then he spoke through gritted teeth.

  “Now listen to me.  The guards are going to be here shortly.  Something serious happened tonight and now you’re mixed up in it, whether you like it or not.  If you don’t take the gun from me now, when the guards arrive here and see us together, I’ll implicate you.  Even if they don’t believe me, it will mean that you’ll have to stand up in Court and give evidence against me. Do you want that for your family?   It would be much easier for you to stick the gun in the boot of your car drive off somewhere and hide it.  But you’d better make your mind up fast, before they drive up and arrest us both.”

He often wondered why he’d taken it.  Was it because he’d had sympathy for the man?  He didn’t think so.  Maybe it was the fear of being implicated, or like the man had said, being branded an informer.  He wasn’t sure, but whatever the reason, it seemed like providence.

BIO
I am 56 years old and I live with my wife and two teenage children in Trinity, Wexford. Up to 2012 when the recession hit Ireland I was making my living as a musician. I then went back to adult education and completed my Leaving Certificate in 2014. I am now studying for a degree in Culture and Heritage Studies at Wexford Campus. While I was studying for I began writing ‘The Gun’ which is the first book in The Tadhg Sullivan Series. I have just completed the second book in the series. I play guitar and sing in many of the pubs in my hometown of Wexford where I am often joined by my two children Ella and Rory who play fiddle and flute. In my spare time (which I do not have a lot of) I like to walk my two dogs with my wife Caroline.



No comments:

Post a Comment