Friday 13 March 2015

Danny Dirks and the Heir of Pendragon by S.A Mulraney Review!


22926465Title : Danny Dirks and the Heir of Pendragon
Author : S.A Mulraney
Pages : 278
Published : September 1st 2014
Source : Netgalley
Purchase : Amazon/ Book Depository
Danny Dirks wants nothing more than to play baseball in his father's orchard now that school is out, but he's finding out that he is no ordinary boy. With the approach of his fifteenth birthday, Danny's begun hearing voices and seeing visions of his dead mother. He's also fairly certain that the cute girl next door is really a shape-shifting dragon. All of these things lead Danny to the discovery that he is the heir of the legendary Arthur Pendragon and the linchpin in a pact established between man and dragon centuries ago. Now, rogue dragons threaten that pact and the peace that comes with it. They aim to reopen the portal through which they originally came to Earth in order to bring back a rebel dragon army. It's up to Danny to learn to channel the power that is Excalibur and, with his new friends, prevent the portal from being opened.

My Thoughts :

Danny thinks he is going to spend his summer like he normally does, playing baseball and hanging with his friends, but this is no ordinary summer! This is the summer that Danny turns 15. His grandfather pays him a visit and what he tells Danny will change his life forever!

I'm a sucker for a Dragon book and will try anything with them in it, I'm also a sucker for an awesome cover and this is an awesome cover!!

Danny is told that he is the heir of Arthur, yes THAT Arthur and it's his job to fight the bad dragons and keep the family line in tact. He is also told that his new neighbours are Dragons and are his guardians. He is to learn to ride one of the Dragons and learn to fight. There are bad Dragons who want to open a portal to where all Dragons live and basically take over the world. 

Now I liked this but it wasn't great. The main thing for me was the pacing! It was quite slow, with no much happening till the end. I know that it's the first and is setting the scene for the books but there could of been more action and more Dragons! I was going to set this aside because nothing had happened by the 50% mark.

Also what I didn't like was that at the start, for some reason, I thought Danny was younger. His voice was that of a child of 10 and it wasn't till they were on about him being 15 that I got that surprise! The author made him sound very young and that threw me a bit! 

Apart from the pacing, the overall story was good. I liked the Arthur references and liked finding out how Danny was a descendant. I also liked the idea of the Dragons opening a portal. I liked the use of the birds and dragon flies too. It's a well thought out story, just not enough action. 

The characters were easily likable and relatable. They were well developed as well. Danny has a sort of romance which was sweet! 

 Overall, I liked The Heir of Pendragon. It's an enjoyable Dragon book and one a lot will love. After that ending, I will definitely be picking up book 2 to see who the girl was, I have my suspicions though!! Lol. 



No comments:

Post a Comment