- Narrated by:
- Length: 7 hrs and 15 mins
- Unabridged Audiobook
- Release Date:10-21-13
- Publisher: Dynamic Ram Audio Production
- Purchase : Audible/ Amazon/ Book Depository/ iTunes
When John Simpson hears of a bizarre animal attack in his old home town of High Moor, it stirs memories of a long forgotten horror.My Thoughts :
John knows the truth. A werewolf stalks the town once more, and on the night of the next full moon, the killing will begin again. He should know. He survived a werewolf attack in 1986, during the worst year of his life.
It’s 1986 and the town is gripped in terror after the mutilated corpse of a young boy is found in the woods. When Sergeant Steven Wilkinson begins an investigation, with the help of a specialist hunter, he soon realises that this is no ordinary animal attack. Werewolves are real, and the trail of bodies is just beginning, with young John and his friends smack in the middle of it.
Twenty years later, John returns to High Moor. The latest attack involved one of his childhood enemies, but there’s more going on than meets the eye. The consequences of his past actions, the reappearance of an old flame and a dying man who will either save or damn him are the least of his problems. The night of the full moon is approaching and time is running out. But how can he hope to stop a werewolf, when every full moon he transforms into a bloodthirsty monster himself?
- This isn't a shifter book, this is the down and dirty werewolf type book! It's the blood and guts type of werewolf, the ones that will eat you whole and the ones where you find yourself shuddering about. I loved it!!
- Right from the start this story will grab you. We learn about John Sampson and basically, how he came to be a Moonstruck werewolf. It starts in the present with Sampson just preparing to lock himself up in his cage and then we are transported back to when he was young. He is a typical child and tries to spend his days hanging with his friends, until a faithful day on the Moor, when his world is changed forever.
- This book isn't just a Werewolf book. It's a story of friendship, of mistakes, of finding out about yourself and who you can trust. This is quite a long book but I listened to it in one day because I couldn't put it down. It was fantastic!
- There are quite a few characters but they were all extremely well written and developed. I loved reading about John, Michael and Maries' friendship when they were kids. It was so realistic that it brought me right back to my own childhood. Their banter and comradeship was awesome.
- There are plenty of other characters like Steven, the Sargent, Carl,the american hunter, the old woman and the gypsies who are all an integral part of the story and all who add something extra. Each person has their own story and the author weaves each tale together seamlessly. There is no wasted information in this book, everything the author does has a point, and I loved that about the book.
- The werewolf lore was another thing I loved. I loved how there were 2 different types of them. One is the ones who can turn at will and keep their sensibilities and the other are the "Moonstruck". They are the 7 foot tall ones of nightmares. They are the ones who will rip you to bits because at their core, they are animals and we are prey. The first type hunt and kill the second type because they can expose their secrets!
- I loved the setting! It's a tight knit, small town in England with the back drop of the Moors. Even without the blood chilling werewolves, you can picture the creepy setting. Imagine that with the howls of the feral wolves and you get a sense of the frightening setting. It was perfect!!
- Anyway. This book was such a tense and chilling read, though there actually was some laugh out loud moments!! The banter flowed with a lot of the characters and it added a much needed levity to the book. The action is basically non stop the whole way through and you will be sitting on the edge of your seat. This book is the old school gory, bloody werewolves and not for the squeamish. With each killing that happens, your heart will quicken and believe me when I say that no character is safe!! It's bloody brilliant ;)
- I listened to the audio and I'm so glad I did. Chris Barnes did an amazing job with it. He easily portrayed each character and I had no worry about getting each character mixed up. He really knew when to ramp up the tension and when the voice needed to chill a bit! Loved it.
- So ya. This book pretty much blew me away with how much I loved it and I can't recommend it enough! If you want old school werewolf horror, with a thrilling story, then this is for you.