- Narrated by:
- Length: 7 hrs and 59 mins
- Unabridged Audiobook
- Release Date:03-02-15
- Publisher: Richard Levesque
- Purchase : Audible/ Amazon/ Book Depository
Her fight begins the day the world ends.
Scarlett Fisher is an average California teenager. She likes hanging out with her friends and talking on the phone. She does all right at school, and she's made the best of her parents' divorce. But in one way, she's special: on her 15th birthday, a fast-moving plague wipes out everyone she's ever known, yet somehow it passes her by.
Her family dead, alone in a corpse-strewn metropolis, she has no choice but to survive. She needs food, shelter, a safe place to sleep. She discovers that an ordinary girl is capable of extraordinary things, and that she's more resilient than she imagined. Even so, she wishes more than anything that she could just find another survivor.
Unfortunately for Scarlett, not everyone who survived the plague is looking for companionship. And she's about to find out just how difficult survival really is.
- My Thoughts :
- When Scarlett goes to a Baseball game for her birthday, she had no idea that it would change her life forever! She loses everything and everyone she loves. She is among a rare few who is immune to the deadly disease that swept the world and this is her tale.
- This is kind of told in 2 parts, the first being the story of Scarlett at the start of the plague and her loneliness and the second part is about Scarlett meeting other survivors and how even then her life changes in another big way.
- The beginning does a great job of showing what it's like to lose everything. Scarlett goes from being a normal 15 year old, to a girl alone and trying to survive. The plague is so fast and unexpected that it catches everyone by surprise. People who catch it usually die within a few days.
- Scarlett is such an awesome heroine. She is very resourceful and knows what she needs to do. She is only 15 and yet despite seeing dead bodies everywhere, she keeps her cool. She knows she needs food and safe shelter so sets out to find both. I really liked her strength and admired her tenacity.
- The second half focuses on when Scarlett meets some survivors. She is even more tenacious this time round because she has more to loose now. She grows up quickly and my heart breaks for her so much during this time.
- One thing I have to say is that when the plague was first described and the first man dies, Scarlett says that stalks shoot out of his head and spores blast out from it. I was then picturing people dying with mushrooms growing out of them!! Lol. I liked that the plague is a fungus which I thought was really unique and different!
- In all, a really good and different Post Apocalyptic read. It's not the most action packed book but that's because it's a story of surviving the aftermath. It's a story of struggle, of heartache and one of hope.
- I listened to the audio, and let me tell you that LC Kane did an amazing job with this book. She portrayed the heartache and loneliness perfectly. She made my heart break for Scarlett!! There are certain times during the book where it felt like the narrator had a tough time fighting back the tears, she really put her all into this book and it showed!!