- Narrated by:
- Length: 6 hrs and 43 mins
- Unabridged Audiobook
- Release Date:08-04-14
- Publisher: Shana Festa
- Purchase: Audible/ Amazon/ Book Depository
- When no one or nowhere is safe, where do you go to escape the monsters?
- In a few short days, 37 year old Emma Rossi’s hard work will finally pay off. She will don her cap and gown and graduate with a degree in nursing, but not before she loses her first patient and is confronted with a new reality. In Cape Coral, Florida, a storm approaches. The dead are coming back to life.
- And they’re hungry.
- Infection ravages the Eastern Seaboard with alarming speed while attempts to contain the spread of infection fail. Within days, a small pocket of panicked survivors are all that remain of civilization. Fighting to survive the zombie apocalypse alongside her husband Jake and their dog Daphne, Emma comes face-to-face with her worst nightmare.
- Relying on snarky wit and sheer determination, she is forced to commit atrocious acts to protect her family and avoid joining the ranks of the undead.
My Thoughts :
This was fan- freakin- tastic!!! I loved everything about it.
Emma was such an awesome heroine. She is fun loving, smart and snarky as hell. She goes from being a trainee nurse to surviving the Zombie apocalypse in the matter of days but she keeps her sense of self and does everything in her power to keep herself, her dog and her husband safe. I really loved her strength!
We have a lot of amazing secondary characters too. We have Emmas' husband Jake. When the Zombies start coming, he enters military mode and makes the hard decisions, though they may not always be for the best. Along the way to finding safety, both encounter plenty of people, all of whom add something extra to the story and then we have Daphne, Emmas dog. Emma does all she can to keep the dog safe, despite what Jake thinks! There is a certain scene that had me crying when Jake does what he does to Daphne!! My heart was in my mouth. Every single character was well written and developed, even those we only meet for a short time!
We are basically thrown straight into the action and it's pretty much non stop from there. The outbreak happens in a matter of days and it spreads so quickly that it seems only a handful of people survive. The author isn't afraid of gore but it's not overly gory so even the most squeamish will enjoy it!
This book will absolutely break your heart! The author is in no way afraid of writing people off. She isn't afraid to take chances and make bad things happen to good people! SO many times I was left gasping at the deaths that were happening and in the way they happened. Im not going to say too much more in case I spoil something so all I'll say is be prepared with plenty of tissues because this book will make you cry.
Anyway, in all, this is a fantastic Zombie Apocalypse book. It's well written, fast paced and has lovable characters. This book will grab you from the very first page and not let you go. So many times I was crying and yet so many times I was laughing out loud too. The authors ability to wrench your heart out in one scene and yet make you laugh in another was phenomenal. Emmas wit was astounding and added much needed levity to the story.
I listened to the audio of this, and let me tell you that it was fantastic. The narrator, Sarah Tancer, did an amazing job of Emma. She portrayed her snarkiness and wit perfectly. She knew how to ramp up the tension when needed and had me biting my nails so many times. I'd highly recommend the audio because it really brings you into the story.
An amazing book and one I can't recommend enough. I can not wait to read the next one!!