Tuesday 10 March 2015

Unborn by Amber Lynn Natusch Review!


22585296Title : Unborn
Author : Amber Lynn Natusch
Published : August 26th 2014
Publisher : 47North
Source : Netgalley 
Purchase : Amazon/ Book Depository/ iTunes
Born into mystery. Shackled to darkness…
Khara has spent centuries discovering everything about the Underworld―except her place in it. But when she’s ripped from her home, solving the riddle of her origins becomes more important than ever. With evil stalking her through the dark alleys of Detroit, she finds salvation from an unlikely source: a group of immortal warriors sworn to protect the city. Khara needs their help to unravel the tangled secrets of who and what she is—secrets many seem willing to kill for. But time is running out, and the closer she gets to the truth, the closer necessity binds her to an arrogant fallen angel.
Can their shaky alliance withstand that which threatens her, or will her soul fall victim to the unholy forces that hunt her―those that seek the Unborn?
From the author of the bestselling Caged series comes a pulse-pounding new series of supernatural romance.
My Thoughts :  

I love Amber Lynn Natuschs other series Caged and had this on my list as soon as I heard of it. I'm a big fan of mythology and love to try anything with a hint of it in it and whats better than something concerning the Underworld!

While I liked this, I didn't love it. I'm going to get the negative out of the way first.

I found it quite hard to connect with Khara. She is so unfeeling and flat, which I know is the way she is supposed to be, but I wanted a bit more from her. While I was reading it, I felt like she was a bad actress in a movie who gives every sentence the same flat tone. She was like a robot. 

I also thought that there would be more action. Don't get me wrong, there is action, just not enough. The action only really picks up towards the end. 

Khara finds out that she has brothers and at times I was a bit grossed out with certain comments the boys had about her. They kept flirting and making suggestive comments towards her. They are her brothers and no way should they even have those thoughts!!! It was just so icky. 

Also when she meets them its kind of weird because straight away she is taken into the fold and it's pretty much insta love. I mean come on, if you found you had another family member it would take time to get to know them. Not so much here!! She instantly becomes an important member of the family and all the brothers would die for her!! 

It was a very slow story at the start and truthfully, the whole way through was pretty slow. It took me a few days to get through because I found my mind wandering a lot. 

This doesn't have much world building and we don't get much explanation to why. Now there is a lot of information but not the right kind!!

Now onto what I liked. 

I really liked the plot, as such. I loved that she was there for 6 months and then she was sent above ground for 6 months. She takes the place of Persephone when she isn't there. 

I also liked who her brothers were though I'm still a little confused by it! 

I liked how she eventually started to show some emotion towards said brothers, though she was still incredibly flat.

I liked Oz. He is the mysterious type though he is still mysterious because we don't find out much about him.

Overall I liked it and I'm glad I have book 2 to get to straight away because I am curious to see where it goes. It's an OK book and I will continue on with the series in hopes that it gets better!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment