Tuesday 21 April 2015

Archie Greene and the Magician's Secret by D.D Everest Review!


23718797Title : Archie Greene and the Magician's Secret 
Author : D.D Everest
Pages : 320
Published : April 21st 2015
Publisher : HarperCollins
Source : Edelweiss
Purchase : Amazon/ Book Depository/ iTunes
Open this book...if you dare to face what awaits you inside!
D. D. Everest’s magical middle grade debut welcomes you to the world of the Flame Keepers—where books are enchanted, words carry tremendous power, and characters literally leap off the page.
On his twelfth birthday, Archie Greene receives a mysterious package from a man he has never met, a package containing an ancient book in a language he doesn’t recognize. The gift leads him to a family he didn’t know he had and a world he never knew existed.
Soon Archie becomes a bookbinding apprentice to the Flame Keepers, a secret group devoted to finding and preserving magical books at the Museum of Magical Miscellany. With the help of his cousins, Bramble and Thistle, Archie tries to unravel the mystery behind his book, but he begins to realize that his gift is something more powerful than he could have imagined. And the only thing more perilous than its contents is being its owner.
The book waited 400 years for Archie Greene. Now Archie must discover why.

My Thoughts : 

Well this was a bundle of fun! I loved it.

The synopsis above pretty much sums up the book perfectly so I'll get straight to my thoughts. 

Archie was an awesome hero. He is a typical 12 year old and has lots of enthusiasm and is willing to try anything. When he receives a package of a book with instructions to bring it to a book shop, he is intrigued. His Grandmother tells him that he has a family and may as well go stay with them because she has work to do. Archie takes it all in his stride and heads off by himself. Archie goes from being a normal boy to living a life that's magical. 

There is a whole host of characters and each is well written and developed. I loved Archies cousins and his boss at the book shop, Old Zeb. I loved seeing Archie and his cousins interact because they show such acceptance and love for him. Old Zeb has such a way about him and I loved seeing him and Archie together. 

The best thing about the book, for me, was the world. I loved the idea of the books and Archie being a book whisperer. I loved the magical characters and the places. I loved finding out the history and the lore behind the museum. I pretty much loved all of it really!

In all this is a fun filled, action packed read and one I know every age will enjoy. It's a magical adventurous book filled with fantastical creatures and awe inspiring settings. I flew through the book and am eagerly hoping that there will be more from these awesome characters!! 




2 comments:

  1. Sounds a little like Inkhart. (Though I've only seen the movie, have to get to that one) I love fun little middle grade books. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not like Inkheart really. I read (and loved) Inkheart so you should definitely check it out. This was such a fun book!!

      Delete