- Narrated by:
- Length: 4 hrs and 13 mins
- Unabridged Audiobook
- Release Date:03-16-16
- Publisher: Richard Alan Storry
- Buy: Audible Audiobooks.com
- In a remote, crumbling, gothic mansion the aged Lord Alfred Willoughby writes his Last Will and Testament, and deliberates over what is to become of his vast fortune after his passing. The obvious thing is to leave it to his only son, Matthew, but the boy has grown up to become a wastrel, unable to hold down a job and constantly relying on hand-outs from his father. So what to do? He finds himself torn. His head tells him to leave Matthew nothing at all; but his heart feels differently. After all, he is still his son...
- Finally, he settles on the solution: In one last-ditch attempt to show his son that nothing worth having is gained without effort he sets a series of enigmatic puzzles. If Matthew can successfully solve them he will inherit the entire estate. If he fails, he receives nothing.
- However, it emerges that Matthew is not the only interested party. The mansion hides many secrets, and things are not at all as they first appear...
Lord Alfred Willoughby is dying! He has written multiple wills but with the way his son Matthew is, he decides to write on last one. In it he stipulates that he will leave his faithful Butler 5 million, and the rest of his sizable fortune would be left to either of two contenders. But, nothing is ever easy and Lord Alfred sets a treasure hunt in place. The first to solve the clues and find a certain object, will inherit everything. All they have to do is solve The Cryptic Lines!
I absolutely flew through this suspenseful mystery! The authors descriptive writing really brought the scenery and atmosphere to life. You could just imagine the big sprawling manor house that they are searching, as well as the amazing land it's on! I also loved the whole treasure hunt and mysterious clues thing. It was awesome figuring things out along with the characters and trying to see was I right! You think you know what's going to happen but the author throws in twist after twist and the ending was brilliant!!
Character wise, their are only a few, but all were extremely well written and developed. James, the butler, was a typical English butler you see on the TV. The attorney was another awesome character. Such a nice person. Matthew is a money hungry man, who only wants his fathers vast fortune and will stop at nothing to get it. All of these, as well as the other characters, added up to a really enjoyable and thoroughly entertaining listen!
In all, this was a quick, fast paced, entertaining and suspenseful read.
Jake Urry was the perfect choice for this. He had an array of tones and cadences that really suited the feel of this story. He portrayed James and Lord Alfred perfectly with a really posh English voice and even did a perfect Matthew! He really brought this book to life and made it 10 times more enjoyable! I went looking for information on Jake Urry to see what else he has narrated and was shocked to see that he is so young!! I thought he was an older gentleman with the way he read this book!!! Brilliant narrator.
*I received this via Audiobook Boom but voluntarily reviewed it. This in no way affected nor influenced my thoughts.*