- Narrated by:
- Length: 6 hrs and 22 mins
- Unabridged Audiobook
- Release Date:11-22-16
- Publisher: Steve R. Yeager
- Buy: Audible Audiobooks.com
- When a mysterious artifact is unearthed at a remote mining facility in Russia, those who come in contact with it are infected by something beyond imagination, something terrifying, something that has but one burning desire - to feed on the flesh of the living as a way of spreading the infection.
- Jackson Cutter and his team of recovery and security specialists have been called upon before to put down such an outbreak, but it cost them dearly. Now Cutter lives on a boat in Barbados, lost in a fog of rum and tequila. When remaining team members Kyle Gauge and Morgan Crow find him, they seek to persuade him to leave his extended vacation and return to the land of the living, because if he doesn't, it will quickly become the land of the walking dead.
Deep in the mines of Russia, a mysterious artifact was unearthed. Those who came in contact with it, become infected with something terrifying! While the outbreak is contained to the remote place for the time being, their are certain people who would love to get their hands on this artifact. So they hire an elite team of recovery and security specialists to retrieve the item. Jack Cutter and his team had already attempted to retrieve a similar thing before but things went horribly wrong and Jack lost someone close to him. Will this mission be a success or will the outbreak spread before they can retrieve the only thing that can help?
I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed this! The book starts with seeing the miners find the artifact and from the second they touch it, they are infected. It was a very novel and unique way for the outbreak to begin. I also liked how the book wasn't really focused too much on the Zombies, but on the groups struggle to get the artifact. The plot was well written and fast paced and moved along steadily.
Character wise, Jack was a strong main character. He is deeply affected after they attempted to retrieve the first artifact and he lost someone he loved, but with a pay out of 4 million dollars, he can't turn it down, and he reasons that since they know what to expect, they won't make the same mistakes again. All the characters well written and developed and easily likable.
In all, this was a fast paced and engaging read. It's a unique and enjoyable take on the Zombie outbreak and I can't wait to see more from this world and these characters.
Johnny Mack did a really good job bringing this to life. He had a different variety of tones and knew when to ramp up the tension when needed.
*I received a copy of this via Audiobookboom but voluntarily reviewed it. This in no way affected nor influenced my thoughts.*