Saturday 5 October 2013

Charming (Pax Arcana, #1) by Elliott James Review


        17669065

Buy The Book Now at The Book Depository, Free Delivery World WideGoodreads_icon_32x32

Title : Charming
Author : Elliot James
Source : Netgalley
Pages : 390

John Charming isn't your average Prince... 

He comes from a line of Charmings — an illustrious family of dragon slayers, witch-finders and killers dating back to before the fall of Rome. Trained by a modern day version of the Knights Templar, monster hunters who have updated their methods from chainmail and crossbows to kevlar and shotguns, he was one of the best. That is — until he became the abomination the Knights were sworn to hunt.

That was a lifetime ago. Now, he tends bar under an assumed name in rural Virginia and leads a peaceful, quiet life. One that shouldn't change just because a vampire and a blonde walked into his bar... Right?

My Thoughts :

3.5 stars
Im not sure what to say about Charming. Parts I loved and parts I didn't. 
John Charming was a Knight. He fought any supernatural creature that broke the Pax Arcana (a pact to make sure supernatural creatures kept the existence of themselves away from humans) He isn't like the other Knights though. He is part werewolf. He is now hunted by the same people he once was part of. 
In the town he now lives in, a group of vampires are killing people and John knows if he doesn't do something soon the Knights will arrive.

I loved the fact that the book is told entirely from Johns POV. I've not read many books where we see the romance from an entirely male POV. I really liked seeing his relationship developing with Sig. I loved Johns character too. He is descendant from the Charming bloodline, is part werewolf and is snarky, wise cracking, and kickass. He is also brave, loyal and has awesome swords ;)

I liked Sig. She is definitely kickass and is well able to handle herself. The fact she is a Valkyrie was another aspect I loved. When she first sees John its kind of love at first sight but neither act on it because she is in a relationship already. 

I loved the mix of myths and legends Charming had. From Knights Templar to Valkyries and Vampires to Werewolves, it was definitely a bonus. I loved the snarky tone of the book. I loved the amount of action it had and I loved the whole concept of it.

Now what I didn't like!!! The major factor for me was the information overload. For example. John could be fighting for his life but then the author stops and says "let me explain" and then goes off with TMI. It really annoyed me. I also didn't like Sigs boyfriend. He is a douche bag!!! 

Overall I liked Charming. It was action packed with cool characters, snarky writing and a hero that's swoon worthy. The book has a great concept and I will definitely check out book 2 but I am hoping the author doesn't do anymore info dumping in future books. 



No comments:

Post a Comment