Saturday 26 September 2015

Bitterroot by SM Reine and Heather Hildenbrand Review!


26159383Title: Bitterroot
Series: Part of a Serial
Authors: S.M Reine, Heather Hildenbrand
Published: September 21st 2015
Publisher: Elephantine Publishing
Source: From Author
Seventeen year-old Regan Vuk has lived her whole life under the shadow of her future: the pack alpha. She is fast, smart, and determined. According to her own pack members, she is a shoo-in. But Regan’s dad has a secret.
Seventeen year-old Charlie spent her adolescence drifting from place to place with a mother desperate to hide her illegitimate daughter from the unforgiving reality of werewolf pack dynamics. All Charlie has ever wanted is to know her father--and the family that's been kept from her all these years. But most of all, she wants a place to belong in the world. Where she doesn’t have to pretend she can’t sprout fur and paws at will. Being kidnapped on her way home from prom was not she Charlie had in mind.
When Charlie finds out the only way to fit in with her new family is to defeat her long-lost sister for the role of alpha, she refuses. That is until she learns that the strange and alluring vampire she's befriended, Owen, is the same vampire prince that's been promised the winner.
Regan has no doubt that, although she loathes the vampires, it will be her who "wins" Owen. 
Only problem: Charlie's already fallen for him.

My Thoughts:

I adore everything I've read by Heather Hildenbrand so far, and while this is my first by SM Reine, I was eager to start this. So I dived right in and though I did really enjoy it, I had one or 2 things I didn't like. Since there isn't much I can say without spoiling something I'm going to get straight to my thoughts, and since my thoughts are split, I'm doing a likes and dislikes type of review. Let's get the bad out of the way.

I loathe insta love, or even love after only a meeting! It turns me off a book, big time!! Unfortunately this has a kinda insta love. When Charlie meets the vampire stranger in the woods they had an instant connection kind of, even though her instincts scream enemy, she had all these gooey feelings. It just felt so cliche and unnecessary. I so wanted them to dislike each other first and slowly see their story unravel, but the second she met him, I knew who he was and what was about to happen. 

Another thing I didn't like was how Carter felt for Regan. Again, so cliche and the fact that she is clueless was just Ugh!! 

Anyway, that's the bad out of the way, now onto the many good points.

Regan and Charlie!! I loved both these girls. Regan is so different to Charlie, because she was raised to be Alpha and knows the way of things but Charlie knows nothing. She is kidnapped and brought to this place and told that this is her sister and this is her father and she has to become part of the pack. She has a lot to deal with but does so in true Charlie style. Watch and wait!! Regan seems so up tight and in control but when she is told that her future isn't certain now that Charlie is here, she could of resented her. Instead she is glad to have a sister and takes her under her wing as such. Each girl is very different yet they work so well together, and I'm looking forward to getting to see their interactions more. 

I loved the fact that the she-wolf is the Alpha and the title passes that way. It's something different brought to the genre. 

I loved the writing. Despite being written by 2 different people, it flows well and you can't tell. 

I loved the world they have created, and again look forward to reading more in the series to see how it progresses. 

In all, though I didn't like everything, I still thoroughly enjoyed this and have already preordered the next one to see what happens. 





Contest! Help spread the word about Bitterroot!

Share the following message on Twitter, FB, or IG OR follow me on any of these platforms and get entered to win a signed swag pack including a paperback of Seasons of the Moon by SM Reine & Dirty Blood by ME! Contest ends 9/26!*

2 sisters. 1 vampires prince. Can family survive forbidden love? #Bitterroot for .99. http://bit.ly/Bitterroot1

*Contest not affiliated with FB, IG, Twitter, or any other outside entity. Must be 13 years or older. Void where prohibited.

No comments:

Post a Comment