- Narrated by:
- Length: 2 hrs and 53 mins
- Unabridged Audiobook
- Release Date:06-20-17
- Publisher: Smoke and Steel Press
- Doing the right thing ain't cheap...not when you've got to pay the devil's due.
- After a lab explosion leaves him changed forever, wanted fugitive Jack Carson knows only one thing for certain - he's just one wrong move away from a fate worse than death. Struggling to make sense of life on the run, Jack assumes that middle-of-nowhere, Iowa would be the safest place to lay low. But small towns can hide big secrets.
- When a free drink and a misguided act of chivalry blows the town's sleepy veneer straight to hell, Jack is left to deal with the mess. Blackmailed into criminal service by a backwoods gangster with delusions of grandeur, Carson finds himself faced with the ultimate choice...save the town or save his own skin.
- Can Jack use his otherworldly powers to rescue the town's beautiful bar owner and bring the small town mob to their knees? Or will a pair of ambitious federal agents find him before he has the chance?
- The Devils Due is a heart-pounding new thriller. If you like edge of your seat thrills, harrowing suspense, and nonstop action then you will love this new installment from CM Raymond and LE Barbant -The Devils Due!
- My Thoughts:
Jack Carson just wants to find a place to lay low and stay hidden. He has little money, no ID and a watch that has stopped at 2.42. He enters Ironwood with the hopes that this will be the place, but things are never that easy!!
This is book one of A Jack Carson story but in all honesty, I felt like we were dropped into the middle of a series and were left not knowing what was going on. Now I know by the way the story was written that we will eventually find out everything, but it was a little frustrating not having a little more of the back story. I had so so many questions!!!
Other than that, this was a really good story. It's well written, with plenty of mystery and intrigue and had a cast of awesome characters. I really liked Jack and the cast of characters he meets in the bar. I'm intrigued to find out more bout the special agent trailing him!! I also can't wait to find out who the girl in the picture is!!
There is a lot to like about the book, and it points to a series that will be action packed, intriguing and very entertaining. The authors have created a very interesting world and one I can't wait to dive back into. I'm hoping book 2 will answer a lot of the questions I have!!!
In all, a solid start. It was intriguing, entertaining and held my attention throughout.
This is the first book I've listened to that was narrated by Ben Smith. He was pretty good. He had enough tones and voices to distinguish each character and knew how to increase the tenseness when needed. There were a few minor issues with the production, a few noises and a sentence repeated, but nothing to detract from the overall book. All in all, he read it well.
I was voluntarily provided this audiobook for free from the author, narrator, or publisher. This in no way affected nor influenced my thoughts.