Saturday 17 October 2015

Audiobook Review: Dreg by Terry M. West!



    Dreg | [Terry M. West]
  • Written by: Terry M. West
  • Narrated by: Andrew Start
  • Length: 8 hrs and 4 mins 
  • Unabridged Audiobook
  • Release Date:08-28-15
  • Publisher: Pleasant Storm Entertainment, Inc.
  • Louisiana. 1940.Madness thrives in the Pointe au Chien, and a dark legacy is embraced. A bayou boy is baptized in city blood, and a pack as old as time rises from the swamps. A man beast escapes his shackles, and the hunt begins - a hunt that will last for decades, a hunt fueled by the moon. For when the moon is full, the beast rises. And the blood flows.Houston, Texas. 1999.Lucas Glover is a local psychic who assists the police. Lucas' supernatural abilities are faltering, and his health has been greatly affected by his gift. He is brought in by the police commissioner to help profile and track down the Keepsake Killer. The Keepsake Killer is a mass murder who has eluded the police for almost two decades. Lucas is partnered with William Harlson, a hard as nails, skeptical and terminally ill homicide detective who sees stopping the killer as his last hurrah. As the investigation progresses, Lucas is plagued by strange dreams, and he develops a connection with an otherworldly force that slowly reveals the origins of the killer. Lucas discovers that he is dealing with a primal force of nature far more dangerous than any human serial killer. And when the Keepsake Killer strikes close to home, Lucas has to push his abilities farther than they have ever been pushed. Even if it kills him.Dreg is a horror/thriller novel written by critically-acclaimed author, Terry M. West. This is the revised and expanded version of the 2003 first edition.
  • My Thoughts:
  • This was all kinds of freaky!!! So creepy and chilling that it gave me nightmares. The summary above pretty much says it all so I'll get to my thoughts.
  • At the start I wasn't sure if this was a paranormal or what because it opens with seeing Dreg take a rite of passage as such. I initially thought they were werewolves and even now, I'm still not sure what he was, man or beast??
  • Dreg was one of the scariest, creepiest, freakiest character that I've read in a long long time. You definitely do NOT want to meet him in a dark alley, because it will be the last thing you do. He is so well written and developed that you can't help but be afraid of him. I know when I was listening to his parts, it gave me chills and I listened with the light on!!
  • Every character in this pretty much rocked. The author has a way that brings them all alive, though that may not be a good thing because there are 2 nasty serial killers in this!! I loved all of them though especially, Lucas, who is the psychic who is called in to help with the case and he finds himself dealing with something that he has never dealt with before. The mind of this killer is so bad, that Lucas himself can lose his mind! He was such a great character and easily likable. As was William. Poor William, my heart broke for his predicament but I admired his tenacity and spirit!! 
  • The plot is fast paced and incredibly intense. It gripped me from the very first page and was relentless the whole way through!! I plugged in my headphones and pretty much listened to this non stop every chance I got! It was so hard to put down because you had to see what happened next. I do hope we haven't seen the last of Lucas though, because I'm sure there is more to his story!! 
  • Andrew Start was fantastic as Dreg. His tone of voice portrayed Dregs insanity perfectly and he creeped me out when he was reading those parts. His pacing was spot on too! 


2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you got nightmares from this one. This book doesn't sound like me at all. As much as I like fantasy mysteries, nope too creepy. Sounds like it's not super fantasy either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't let that put you off!! Its an amazing book and totally one Id recommend highly.

      Delete