Tuesday 13 January 2015

Family Heir by Sara M Drake Review!


22433393Buy The Book Now at The Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

Title : Family Heir
Author : Sara M. Drake
Pages : 310
Published : May 30th 2014
Source : Tour Host
Purchase : Amazon 

Kelley longed for a normal life – to go to college, to have normal friends, and to work a nice desk job. When an unknown predator starts a killing spree, she finds herself drug back into a world that includes vampires, werewolves, and her ex-husband. Kelley agrees to lead the small team to find the murderer – which consists of one uncommunicative ex-hubbie and an inexperienced federal agent. Only shots in the night prove that Kelley has become a target and her training as a Hunter does nothing to prepare her for being hunted. 

My Thoughts : 

When Kelley gets the call that she is to go hunt the thing that is ripping people apart, she has no idea what she is leaving herself in for. She is from one of the Families and it's her job to police the things that everyone thought were myth, the vampires, werewolves and often times somethings that haven't become public. 

As Kelley is on her way to her parents house to get ready for the hunt, she is shot at. Who is trying to kill her and why? Is it this unknown who is killing people? As she learns what is happening, she has no choice but to plow forward and finish the hunt. Kelley along with her ex husband Troy and an supernatural cop, go into the woods to find out what is killing people. 

My actual rating for this is 3.5 stars because while I did really enjoy it, there was some stuff I didn't like. I'm going to list my dislikes first.

What I didn't like - 

We are supposed to go into the start of the book not knowing what is killing people but the tag alone gives it away!! There wasn't any mystery which put a dampener on the book straight away. 

The characters weren't fleshed out enough. Kelley came across as selfish and mean sometimes and I had a hard time liking her. I also didn't like the way she was with Troy! We didn't get a proper sense of why Troy is like he is and why Kelley was like she was with him. I know I needed a bit more about Troy and his back story. Also Brent, what was his story?? He didn't really play that much of a part and came across as a newbie as such instead of a seasoned vet. I don't know why but, while I liked him as a character I also didn't like him as a character if you can understand. 

I also didn't like the love interest. (I'm not saying who) They didn't spend a lot of time together yet they fell for each other! It felt unreal and needless. 

Now onto what I liked - 

I really liked the idea that the Supernatural creatures are part of the world. The Vampires and Werewolves are all accepted by the world and yet there are still unknown creatures in the world. 

I liked how there was rituals and certain things you had to do when meeting the Supes. Like if the werewolves are having a baby, you have to bring diapers! It just added that little bit extra to the story. 

I liked that we have a whole new Supernatural being in the world of books. This is my first Bigfoot book and hopefully it wont be my last. I've always been fascinated with the idea of Bigfoot so really liked the author's take on them. 

Anyway, Family Heir was a good urban fantasy read and I will definitely pick up the next one, if there is a next one. While I had some issues with the book, it wasn't enough to make me dislike it. I think if we had a little more mystery surrounding the unknown creature then I may have enjoyed it more. Saying that, it's so nice to read a unique story and Sara Drake has definitely put her own mark on the Urban Fantasy Genre with her introduction to the Bigfoots. 


4 comments:

  1. Pretty cover! This sounds a little like Generation V, which I loved. Yeah, for a mystery calling it a bigfoot novel is kind of a giveaway. The world building sounds good, but I have to like the characters. I think I'll wait and see if book two gets better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the Bigfoot aspect but the mystery was kind of spoilt! I enjoyed it and will read another book but it was hard to like the MC.

      Delete
  2. I think that's the biggest complaint from people, that the mystery is given away. I think it kind of depends on how you're thinking when you go into it though. The 'bigfoot' aspect being 'out' has drawn a lot of readers though so it's hard to say if it's better it's on the book or if it would be better being a mystery.
    Thanks so much for reading and reviewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Candace and in a way I agree but the whole start of the book was focused on the killings and who was doing them. I did really enjoy the Bigfoot aspect and enjoyed it overall!

      Delete