Monday 20 February 2017

Audiobook Review: Dawn of Rebellion by Michelle Lynn!


Dawn of Rebellion Audiobook
  • Written by: Michelle Lynn
  • Narrated by: Danielle Cohen
  • Length: 6 hrs and 21 mins 
  • Unabridged Audiobook
  • Release Date:06-06-16
  • Publisher: Michelle Lynn
  • My name is Dawn Nolan, and I've grown up on the streets of military-controlled London. The one person in my life I could always count on has been taken from me.Gabby is combative, pushy, a real pain - but she's the reason I've survived this long.She's my sister.And now she's gone.Criminals are sent to the colonies to work as slaves for the rest of their lives. There is no escape. I only know that it's a savage place - not a place for a teenage girl from the wrong side of London.I might die trying.I'll probably never see London again.But they've taken my sister, and I'm going to get her back.

My Thoughts:

This was a little gem! I ended up really enjoying this and devouring it over the course of a day and a half. 

The story centers on 2 sisters, Dawn and Gabby. Gabby has always looked after Dawn and tried to make her life comfortable. One day while out with her boyfriend, Gabby decides that Dawn deserves something special for her birthday and steals an expensive necklace. Unfortunately she gets caught and is sent to the colonies, an undisclosed location where they are sent to be slaves for the rest of their lives. Dawn is devastated but decides that she has to try to find this place and rescue her sister. So she leaves London and travels to where they know the colonies are located, which is the old US. Where the colonies are exactly, they don't know, but Dawn and Drew are intent on finding Gabby. 

The setting for the book is for an America that is no longer, it's now colonised by Britain and is used for criminals no matter how small their crime. I enjoyed this aspect of the book as usually Post Apoc books take place in America, and while this still does, it's not an America that's normal. 

I liked the characters too. Gabby and Dawn have a great relationship and it was lovely to see. The fact that Dawn left everything she knows to go to an unknown world to save her sister, pretty much says it all. There are plenty of other characters too and all were well written and developed. The only character I had any reservation for was Drew. His reasoning for going to the colonies in the first place were sketchy and not mush was done about it during the book. Maybe we will find the answers in the next book, but who knows!!

In all, this book was a pleasant surprise and kept me hooked throughout. It is told from multiple POVs which worked well here because we get Dawn's story as well as seeing from Gabby's and Drew's POV. It made the book richer. I can't wait to read more in this world!! 

Danielle Cohen did a great job. Even though, voice wise, she didn't differentiate the sisters that much, it was still easy to follow who was talking at any given time. It was subtle differences but the way she executed it was really good. She was easy to listen to as well and was clear and concise! 

I was voluntarily provided this free copy by the author, narrator, or publisher. This in no way affected nor influenced my thoughts.


No comments:

Post a Comment