Wednesday 9 March 2016

Audiobook Review: Loup-Garou by David Reuben Aslin!


    Loup-Garou: The Beast of Harmony Falls Audiobook
  • Written by: David Reuben Aslin
  • Narrated by: S.W. Salzman
  • Length: 6 hrs and 24 mins 
  • Unabridged Audiobook

  • Release Date:01-28-16
  • Publisher: David Aslin
  • The rugged beauty of the Mount St. Helens wilderness is being haunted by a killer. Hikers, loggers, and local residents are dying in horrible, mysterious ways, and lawmen Bud O'Brien and Charlie Redtail are forced to think it just might be a monster...maybe Bigfoot itself.Enter cryptozoologist Dr. Ian McDermott, PhD, who struggles with his own personal demons as he uncovers the impossible and ugly truth behind it all - an evil more malevolent than anyone ever imagined.Loup-Garou is the first in the Ian McDermott, Paranormal Investigator series. Atmospheric, often beautiful, and always intensely scary investigations into what we were told as children were only myths and legends.The hunt is on.

My Thoughts:

Oh I thoroughly enjoyed this unique take on werewolves!! I devoured this and didn't want it to end!!! Well the blurb covers the idea behind the story perfectly so I'll get straight to my thoughts. 

This would make an amazing movie. While listening to it I kept saying things like, "stop, don't do that." "Don't go in there." "Watch out" etc. It was such an engaging read (and I think what helped it be so was the narration and effects, which I'll get to in a bit) that I couldn't help but gasp at parts, pause it at others because it was scary and just enjoy the experience. 

Ian was such an awesome character. He has a degree in Cryptozoology and is called in to help in the investigation of disappearances in Mount St. Helens. Everyone is skeptical but think it's a Bigfoot doing the killings, which is why Ian is called in in the first lace. Ian himself is skeptical until they enter a cave and see a chamber full of bones and bits of humans. With mounting evidence of something supernatural doing it, Ian has his hands full finding who, or what is involved. Can he overcome his own demons and fight the one that's plaguing the town?

The plot of this was fast paced and thoroughly entertaining. I loved the bits of humour thrown throughout the book and realy loved the lore of the Loup-Garou. The author has definitely put his own little spin on an age old tale and I can't wait to see where Ian's, and his dogs, investigations take him next. 

In all this was well written and developed book. The story unfolds at the perfect pace and with the bit of levity thrown in, it's a captivating and quick read. I highly recommend!! 

Now let's get to the narration. As I said before, I think I enjoyed this as much as I did because of the narration and sound effects. At first I was a bit thrown off with the effects but that quickly changed because it really added something special to the overall feel of the book. With the storm and the howls of the wolf in the background it amped up the tension and made my heart race!! Narrator S.W. Salzman was awesome also. He had so many different tones and accents that it was no problem to follow who was talking. Definitely one to watch. 

*I received a copy of this for review. This in no way affected my thoughts.* 




No comments:

Post a Comment