Friday 6 March 2015

The Lie by Ashley Fontainne Audiobook Review!


    The Lie | [Ashley Fontainne]
  • Written by: Ashley Fontainne
  • Narrated by: Andrea Emmes
  • Length: 7 hrs and 3 mins 
  • Unabridged Audiobook

  • Release Date:08-29-14
  • Publisher: RMSW Press
  • Purchase : Amazon/ Book Depository/ iTunes/ Audible


  • Karmen Moncrille's name has been known throughout the world since the age of 16 when her first book shot to the top of the best-seller's list. Now every thing she writes is an instant hit, and her legions of devoted fans eagerly await her next release.
  • The mysterious Karmen always blamed debilitating panic attacks as the reason she avoided publicity and has become a recluse. Which is exactly what she wants the world to think. Only Karmen knows the truth behind her introverted nature. Terrified of being asked where her ideas come from, she fears being branded a raving lunatic.
  • Now just a week before her 23rd birthday, Karmen's world implodes. The madness that haunts her dreams spills over to her reality and she questions her sanity. Suddenly everything has changed and now the world will transform with her. Her last book will unleash the truth and alter mankind - forever.
  • Is Karmen's ability to write a gift or a curse? She's about to find out if her entire life is a lie. And why she was destined to write it.
  • Gold Medal Winner - Fiction at the 2013 Illumination Book Awards
  • My Thoughts : 

  • I'd never heard of this prior to seeing it on Facebook, but I immediately liked the sound of it. I mean it's about a writer who gets her books through ghosts!! Sounds great right, well it was. 

  • Karmen was 16 when she wrote her first book, which became an instant bestseller, and every book after that was a hit. She has more money than she knows what to do with but her life isn't all roses. She has a secret that she has never shared with anyone and that secret may just ruin her life. See Karmen sees Ghosts, specifically ghosts of dead writers who whisper to her. When she was 16 she woke up one morning to a full book written, with no recollection to haven written it. All her books are like that and she knows that if anyone finds out, her life will be ruined.She became a virtual hermit and only talks to her mother, her uncle and her best friend. 

  • For her 23rd birthday, Karmen decides that she needs a break. She goes back to the little town she grew up in. She stays at the cabin with her best friends but her life is just about to take a turn for the worst. When her nightmares start invading the day, and her friends life, Karmen doesn't know what to do. She is terrified! With the help of her mother, best friend and ex boyfriend. Karmen must translate the latest thing she wrote, because it wasn't a book this time but a page in a foreign language, and try to figure out why this is happening to her. Why does she have this "gift" and what is it for?

  • I don't want to say much else about the plot because I could inadvertently ruin it so I'll get on with the review.

  • I was pretty much blown away with how much I loved this book. I wasn't sure what to expect because I knew it had a christian theme to it and while I'm not a fan of some of them, I have read a few I've enjoyed. I'm not a fan of the ones that preach religion and try to force it on you but this isn't one of those. This starts off with an occult ritual and sacrifice and from there it's pretty dark. For anyone worried that they won't enjoy it because it's a christian book, don't fear, you will love this!!

  • Plot wise, I absolutely loved it! The twist at the end was phenomenal and not one I saw coming at all. Through the whole book you are in constant suspense and intrigue because you can't see where it is going. The author sure knows how to tell one heck of a story. It's chock full of twists and turns and will keep you guessing till the end. 

  • I loved Karmen. She has a big weight on her shoulders and at times it feels like the lie she is living will cripple her, but she stays strong. She battles internally with the way her books come to her, she doesn't like making so much money from a lie but she has no way to stop it and her mother makes her publish the books. She doesn't have much of a life and relies on her mother and BFF. My heart absolutely broke for her at one stage during the book (not going to say when because it's a major spoiler but for anyone who has read it will know what I'm talking about) but I admired her spirit and strength of character for getting back up and fighting. 

  • Anyway. The Lie was a tense and thrilling read and one that will have you turning the pages as fast as you can to see what happens. I loved everything about it and applaud Ashley Fontainne for her ability to keep me guessing. Usually when I'm reading a book I can guess the "who done it" but not so here, and that's because of the authors amazing story telling. It's such a unique and captivating tale and one I can't recommend enough. 

  • I listened to the audio and loved it.  Andrea Emmes did an amazing job of bringing Karmen to life. She made you feel the tension and terror and brought you into the story. Her emotional telling of the story made me want to listen to it in one sitting. I'd highly recommend the audio!! 

  •  

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the great review. Thrilled you enjoyed the story.

    ReplyDelete