- Narrated by:
- Length: 10 hrs and 14 mins
- Unabridged Audiobook
- Release Date:05-08-15
- Publisher: Crossroad Press
- Purchase: Amazon/ Book Depository/ Audible
- Fifteen-year-old Ashley has a complicated life. There’s no doubt her overachieving parents love her, but they are wrapped up in their own worlds for so much of the time it leaves her feeling like she’s alone.
- Like a lot of teenagers, Ashley dreams of other worlds, but unlike a lot of teenagers her world is about to collapse as rifts to an ancient Fae Kingdom begin to open all around her. With the arrival of of a supernatural hit-squad intent on killing her, and an unexpected inheritance, Ashley’s London is about to become a magical and mysterious warzone where the prize is Ashley herself.
- Ashley has to find out the secrets of her own life before she is killed. Balancing ancient prophecies, schoolwork and the love of her life is difficult to say the least! Take part of the wonderful world of Moonlands.
This was such a pleasant surprise. I wasn't sure what to think before starting it because I've read some pretty mixed reviews but I'm so glad I gave it a chance. It was such an adventurous and engaging read.
The summary sums it up perfectly so let's get right to my thoughts.
Plot wise, it was really fast paced and entertaining. The idea of a princess who doesn't know she's a princess isn't exactly a new one but the author makes it his own with the introduction of shifters and a whole new world. I loved finding out everything alongside Ash because it brought me into the story.
Character wise, Ash is awesome. She is a typical 15 yr old whose life changes immensely with just one moment. When she is told what she is, she doesn't immediately accept it, which I liked. I also loved that Ash, despite everything, stays true to herself. She was strong, capable and likable, which is always a major plus.
Then we have Blackwater Blaze. He is sent to assassinate the girl but is betrayed so ends up being her protector. He was super scary but also super hot!! Lol. I loved seeing the book from his POV as well.
There are also a lot of secondary characters that are part of Ashs life who watch over her and protect her. All were well written and I loved seeing who else was part of her life.
The world building in this was amazing. Both worlds are vividly described and richly detailed. Ashs' home world was awesome and the author detailed it to perfection. The land, animals and creatures were woven into the story seamlessly.
In all an impressive book. It grabbed me from the start and wouldn't let go. From it's intricately woven story to it's captivating characters, Moonlands is a must read. I fell in love with this world and can only hope we see more from it and it's characters.
Becky Doughty was perfect for the story. She brought Ash to life and portrayed her personality flawlessly. She gave her all to the story, and it shows.
*I received a copy of this for review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*