- Narrated by:
- Length: 5 hrs and 55 mins
- Unabridged Audiobook
- Release Date:03-06-14
- Publisher: Red Adept Publishing, LLC
- Purchase: Amazon/ Book Depository
Braineater Jones wakes up face down in a swimming pool with no memory of his former life, how he died, or why he's now a zombie. With a smart-aleck severed head as a partner, Jones descends into the undead ghetto to solve his own murder. But Jones' investigation is complicated by his crippling addiction to human flesh. Like all walking corpses, he discovers that only a stiff drink can soothe his cravings.
Unfortunately, finding liquor during Prohibition is costly and dangerous. From his Mason jar, the cantankerous Old Man rules the only speakeasy in the city that caters to the postmortem crowd. As the booze, blood, and clues coagulate, Jones gets closer to discovering the identity of his killer and the secrets behind the city's stranglehold on liquid spirits. Death couldn't stop him, but if the liquor dries up, the entire city will be plunged into an orgy of cannibalism. Cracking this case is a tall order. Braineater Jones won't get out alive, but if he plays his cards right, he might manage to salvage the last scraps of his humanity.
- My Thoughts:
- A disgustingly disturbingly funny as heck read!
- I've no idea what to say about this book other than, what a weird and wonderful take on zombies! Lol.
- It's set in the prohibition era, which if you are Braineater Jones, isn't a great time because if he wants to stay as a walking, thinking, capable Zobie, he needs booze! That's right, he needs to drink alcohol to stay sane basically! It dulls the craving for blood and keeps his brain working so he doesn't end up as a mindless blood thirsty zombie.
- Jones wakes up in a swimming pool as a zombie, with no idea of who he was nor how he died. What's a zombie to do then, well Jones becomes a private eye! Along with a head for a side kick, what follows is an incredibly unique and quirky read.
- This is such a hard book to describe. It's deliciously dark but equally disgusting! Maggots etc just make my skin crawl so I had a tough time reading a certain part. It's gory but that didn't bother me as much as the maggots, *shiver*!!! Even with them in it, it didn't detract from the story, which is a testimony to the authors writing!!! It reminded me of the old style, black and white, private eye movies that my grandparents loved. It had that dark and smoky feel to it. You could just picture Jones, sitting at his desk with his feet up, smoking a cigar like Humphrey Bogart!! I loved that feel and atmosphere.
- Jones was so witty and funny and honestly, at times I was laughing out loud at his actions and especially his comments. He was hilarious!! As for the "people" he meets, well what can you say about a head and zombies that are missing parts! It was interesting to say the least ;)
- This is a fast paced read too. You are immediately grabbed from the first page and taken on Jones journey of discovery alongside him. You will be brought into an intense and entertaining ride alongside some exceptionally engaging characters and you will not want to stop. This will have you chortling and gasping at times, it will have you cringing and shivering at others, but one thing it will always have you doing is enjoying the journey. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and hope we see this world and characters again.
- *I received a copy of this for review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*