Thursday 18 June 2015

AudioBook Reviews!


Hi guys. Since it's Audiobook month I decided to share some of my Audible reviews with you. I don't always put a review on here because of time constraints but I'm going to feature some over the next few days :) 

If you find any of them helpful (or not) please consider voting on Audible HERE, it helps me a lot!! Thanks. 


    Malediction | [Lisa Morton]
  • Written by: Lisa Morton
  • Narrated by: Michael Hacker
  • Length: 11 hrs and 33 mins 
  • Unabridged Audiobook


  • Release Date:10-17-14
  • Publisher: Lisa Morton

  • In 1863, a young woman's heritage is stolen from her, and she lays a terrible curse on the City of Angels. Now, in the 21st century, a teenaged girl with lethal psychic abilities arrives in Los Angeles, ready to ally herself with vengeful spirits of the past to feed her insatiable appetite for destruction. Only Gwen Michaelson, a natural healer afraid of her gifts, and Sam West, a broken amnesiac who was once a brilliant historian, stand against the psychotic and increasingly powerful May Blanco. Will Gwen be able to use her skills to restore Sam's mind, which holds the key to the mystery of May's unearthly companion? Together, can they find a way to stop May before she unleashes a wave of death?
    Malediction is a novel about magic and darkness, power and lust, folklore versus fact, love against rage, and the secret history of Los Angeles.

  • "Engrossing Read."

    Overall
    Performance
    Story
    Would you consider the audio edition of Malediction to be better than the print version?
    I've only listened to the Audio but I think an Audio book breaths life into a story anyway.


    What did you like best about this story?
    Everything. I loved the Secret History of LA and how the story weaved together at the end.


    Have you listened to any of Michael Hacker’s other performances before? How does this one compare?
    No, this is my first but I will definitely check out more from him. He really brought the characters to life.


    Was this a book you wanted to listen to all in one sitting?
    No because it's so long but when I was listening to it I didn't want to stop.


    Any additional comments?
    This was such an engrossing read. Everything from it's plot to it's characters were really well written and developed. I loved how we learn a little at a time about the history and the curse and how the story is weaved together.

    Long ago when a woman thought she was cheated out of land, she brought a curse down upon the land and everyone who ever owns it. Skip to modern day LA and the curse seems to come to life through a teenage girl called Mae.

    Mae was an amazing villain, I don't mean that I liked her but that she was the nastiest one I've ever read. At the start I felt so sorry for her, her parents locked her away for most of her life because she could do things. She had no love nor companionship for the first 18yrs. One day she decides enough is enough and kills her father and mother. But she doesn't stop there! Mae is the epitome of sociopath and kills for fun or when she wants something. She is pure evil!

    Gwen can also do things. She can heal people, so naturally, she is the only person who can try to stop Mae. Along with Portia, a physic and Sam, a scholar, Gwen has to become stronger in order to face Mae, but how do you face someone who will kill with a look, who blows a heart up without a thought or a care??

    The lore about the curse was awesome as well. I loved the interludes where we learn about the origin of the curse and how its played out over the years.

    Anyway, Malediction was a thrilling and frankly chilling read. I flew through listening to it and didn't want to stop. Its such an intrinsic plot and one I found myself engrossed in. Highly recommend.

    Michael Hacker did an amazing job of reading the story. His reactions to things and the way he voiced each character was awesome. Loved listening to this. 

  • The Seventh Sons | [Domino Finn]
  • Written by: Domino Finn
  • Narrated by: Jason Jewett
  • Length: 6 hrs and 47 mins 
  • Unabridged Audiobook



  • Release Date:12-18-14
  • Publisher: Blood & Treasure

  • Supernatural meets Sons of Anarchy. Detective Maxim Dwyer is a man on a mission and nothing is going to stop him from finding his missing wife - not shape-shifting hard cases, outlaw bikers, or government cover-ups. Finn’s Seventh Sons is a story you’re not going to want to put down." – James A. Hunter, Author of Strange Magic (Yancy Lazarus Series)
Two years after his wife went missing, Detective Maxim Dwyer is still running down leads. The isolated woods of Sycamore are home to many lawless men, and no one's talking, but that hasn't stopped Maxim from gathering suspects. Topping his list is the local motorcycle club, the Seventh Sons. His biggest obstacle? Everyone swears the bikers are werewolves. The small-town residents are wary of provoking the MC, and the marshal's office is no exception.
Everything changes when a routine biker brawl turns fatal. Going against procedure, Maxim presses an enigmatic stranger for answers. But Diego de la Torre is running his own con. The outlaw deals in lies and legends, and no adversary can back him down. Not even the police.
It's too bad that nobody's above the law for Maxim. He's willing to risk his badge, and his life, to prove it.


"Biker Werewolves!"

Overall
Performance
Story
Where does The Seventh Sons rank among all the audiobooks you’ve listened to so far?
It ranks up near the top.

What did you like best about this story?
The action and intrigue!

Have you listened to any of Jason Jewett’s other performances before? How does this one compare?
No this is my first. He did a great job voicing all the characters but I loved his voice for Diego.

Any additional comments?
When I saw the blurb for The Seventh Sons I was intrigued. I've always been fascinated by the biker gangs because they are such a close group and very secretive. This sounded awesome and I'm so glad I got the chance to listen to it.
Maxim is a detective and has taken an interest in the local biker gang. Something seems off with them and he knows that no one else will try to get to the bottom of it because they are all afraid of them. Maxim was such an awesome character. He is struggling with personal issues but is not afraid to stand by whats right, even if everyone is telling him to stay away from The Seventh Sons.
Diego rolls into town on his bike only to end up in the local police station after a brawl turned deadly in The Seventh Sons club house. Maxim takes Diego to the station and learns some startling truths from him about The Seventh Sons. Diego is my favourite character, he is so mysterious and has a dark past that we learn about slowly.
Anyway, The Seventh Sons is one heck of a ride. From its well developed characters and action packed plot, its a must read. I started listening to it and had a hard time putting it down. Its such an intriguing and thrilling book and one that will stay with you. The author put his own spin on the werewolf lore which I loved and whats not to love about Werewolf Bikers!! I really look forward to reading more from these characters and highly recommend the audio of this!

    Risk Alleviator: Sulan, Episode 1.5 | [Camille Picott]
  • Written by: Camille Picott
  • Narrated by: Michele Carpenter
  • Length: 2 hrs and 2 mins 
  • Unabridged Audiobook

  • Release Date:12-29-14
  • Publisher: Camille Picott

  • Riska is a Risk Alleviator, a miniature winged tiger designed for one purpose: to protect Sulan. Discover Riska’s origins and his quest to find his beloved Sulan when she is taken by League soldiers. How does he find her? How was he created, and what special enhancements does he have to help him in his quest? This novella is the next installment in the Sulan series.

  • "I want a Riska!!"

    Overall
    Performance
    Story
    Would you recommend this audiobook to a friend? If so, why?
    If you have read the first book, then yes, I'd definitely recommend.

    What was one of the most memorable moments of Risk Alleviator?
    Riskas origin and why he was created.

    What about Michele Carpenter’s performance did you like?
    She had a good range of tones.

    Any additional comments?
    Risk Alleviator is really short but packed full of information. I can't say too much about the plot because there are spoilers if you haven.t yet read book 1. This book is told from Riskas POV and we learn about how and why he was made and how he came to be with Sulan. We also see his side of the story from when Sulan and what he did next.

    I adored Sulan when I read it and one of my favourite parts was Riska. He is such a dote and his loyalty to Sulan was awesome. I loved this little novella and finding out all about Riska. His back story was fascinating!! This is a must read for anyone who has read Sulan. It answers a lot about him.

    I listened to the audio of this and I'm so glad I did because Michele Carpenter did an awesome job. She narrated it as if she was a young boy because Riska is male and in my opinion she nailed it. I loved the extra inflictions she gave for each character and how she brought Riska to life.

    After finishing book 1 of the series I couldn't wait for book 2, well this just makes me even more excited for it and reminded me why I loved Riska in the first place.


No comments:

Post a Comment