Wednesday 13 May 2015

Angelfall by Susan Eee Review!


11500217Title: Angelfall
Series: Penryn & the End of Days #1
Author: Susan Ee
Pages: 326
Published: May 23rd 2013
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Source: Bookbridgr
Purchase: Amazon/ Book Depository
It's been six weeks since the angels of the apocalypse destroyed the world as we know it. Only pockets of humanity remain. 
Savage street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. 
When angels fly away with a helpless girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back...

My Thoughts: 

An intense and magnificent read.

This is a re-read for me, I'm not sure how many times I've read this but I do know that every time I do it blows me away! This book is phenomenal and everyone needs to read it!!

By now I'm sure everyone has heard of this, and if not then why not?? This is a story of what happened after the Angels came. At first people thought that they were saved, but they were wrong. The angels are merciless and kill indiscriminately. The look at humans as if they are beneath them. So many humans perished in the first few days and then more perished from both the angels and the fighting between survivors. Now only some humans remain and it's up to them to stay alive. 

Penryn is a young girl, whose life was hard before the angels came, but is now even worse. Her mother is insane, her sister, Paige, is in a wheelchair and Penryn is the sole provider for them. Her options are limited but with food rapidly running out and the city getting treacherous to live in, she has no choice but to take her family and run. She decides to go during the day because most people remain hidden till the dark. On her way she stumbles upon a scene of 3 Angels throwing a fourth onto the ground. She remains hidden but watches the drama unfold. The 3 Angels fight the other one till they have him secured. They then proceed to cut off his wings. Penryn is horrified and despite the fact that it's an angel, she steps forward to help. She manages to throw the angels sword back to him and he fends the angels off. They fly away but as the last one goes, he rushes forward and grabs Paige and flies away with her. Penryns only hope is to help the Angel and make him take her to where they will keep Paige. This simple decision will change her life forever! 

Penryn was one of the best heroines I've read and will stay on my favourites list forever. She was kickass!!! Because of her mothers condition before the apocalypse, she is also resourceful, capable, and strong willed. Back when her mother was OK, she made Penryn take every kind of self defense class there was and I loved that we found that out because it's all OK to have a kick ass heroine but it's nice to know how she learned it. Penryn isn't afraid to do whats needed and she never deviated from trying to rescue her sister. It showed her determination and strength of character. 

Then we have Raffe. Oh gosh, what can I say about him!! He is an Angel, so in Penryns eye, is one of the enemy but when she finds him, he is badly hurt. Raffe was intense, mysterious, wonderful and I loved seeing glimpses into his life. At first he is aloof but you slowly see a different side to him and you can't help but love him. He is an Angel so first impressions are that he is haughty but with his dry and sarcastic sense of humour you just know that he isn't like some of the rest of them. 

There are many things to love about this book but one of the best things is seeing Raffe and Penryn together. They just work! They should hate each other and Penryn really tries to, but on seeing just what Raffe is like, she can;t help but like him. This isn't a case of like at first sight, this is a case of slowly realising that they aren't as different, it's a case of slowly learning to trust each other and rely on each other. I loved that you see the relationship grow realistically.

The world building is another thing I loved. I love angel books and I love apocalyptic books, so chances were that I would love this but Susan Ee takes it to a whole nother level. She has created an intense, horrible, deadly world but one you will dive right into. Her flawless writing and attention to detail is what makes the story. She will grab you and weave the story around you. I loved everything about this world, from the horrible Angels to the blood thirsty beings in the woods, and from Penryn and Raffe to the twins, each and everything was amazing! 

So anyway, I could keep gushing and gushing about this book because it's simply that good, but I'd better wrap it up. All I'll say is that when you start this book, be prepared to be up all night!! This book is engaging, enthralling, intense, dark and deadly but oh so delicious!!! You will gasp, you will cry but most of all you will fall in love with this world and these characters and want more!! An absolutely epic book!! (as you can see below, 5 stars just isn't enough to give this book ;) ) 


7 comments:

  1. AGREED!!! I love this book so much!! The third one just came out yesterday... WAHOOOO!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just amazing!! I finished the series last week and am so sad it's over.

      Delete
    2. Ugh! I hate it when that happens!!! Book hangover. Haha! It feels like you'll never find anything worth reading ever again... *sigh*... good thing I still have book 3 to finish until I'm feelin' this!

      Delete
  2. I remember liking this one, but I haven't gotten around to finishing the series yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing!! I loved it :) You should read the next 2, definitely.

      Delete
  3. I agree, it was nice for a heroines skills to make sense. I think this book has some of the best banter I've ever read! Most of the sequel was disappointing to me because they weren't together. I still haven't read the last one, but I plan to soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chemistry between them was amazing, as was the banter. I really loved the sequel, though there wasn't enough Raffe. The third was really intense but I loved it, even if I thought it ended abruptly.

      Delete