- Narrated by:
- Length: 11 hrs and 37 mins
- Unabridged Audiobook
- Release Date:01-08-15
- Purchase : Amazon/ iTunes/ Book Depository/ Audible
- They told David it was impossible - that even the Reckoners had never killed a High Epic. Yet, Steelheart - invincible, immortal, unconquerable - is dead. And he died by David's hand.Eliminating Steelheart was supposed to make life more simple. Instead, it only made David realise he has questions. Big ones. And there's no one in Newcago who can give him the answers he needs.Babylon Restored, the old borough of Manhattan, has possibilities, though. Ruled by the mysterious High Epic, Regalia, David is sure Babylon Restored will lead him to what he needs to find. And while entering another city oppressed by a High Epic despot is a gamble, David's willing to risk it. Because killing Steelheart left a hole in David's heart. A hole where his thirst for vengeance once lived.Somehow, he filled that hole with another Epic - Firefight. And he's willing to go on a quest darker, and more dangerous even, than the fight against Steelheart to find her, and to get his answers.
- My Thoughts :
- This is book 2 so may contain spoilers for book 1!
- When I first listened to book one of this I immediately fell in love with the world and the characters and I couldn't see how Brandon Sanderson could top it, but top it he did!! Firefight was stupendous.
- With Steelheart dead, NewCago is under the Reckoners control but lately there have been a few Epics who have come with one thing in mind, kill the person who took down Steelheart. Why are so many coming and for what reason??
- They soon learn the reason and have to travel to Babylon Restored in search of the High Epic, Regalia. Things aren't as they seem there though, there are a lot of Epics in the city and Regalia has invited Obliteration there to, well, obliterate Bablyon Restored. Can the Reckoners stop Obliteration in time and find out what Regalias plan is? David also crosses paths with FireFight, can he get through to her and bring her back from the edge?
- I'm not going to say too much more about the plot in case I inadvertently spoil it so lets get straight to my thoughts.
- As I said already, I didn't think that Sanderson could surpass book 1 but he did. This book is so full of awesomesauce that it's amazing, epic, phenomenal and anything else that comes to mind along those lines.
- David is one of the best heroes I've read in a long time. He is brave, selfless, kind, funny and very witty but also reckless and impulsive. David has grown immensely from the boy who wanted nothing but revenge to the man who wants to help people, no matter who they are! He has many close shaves with Epics since joining the Reckoners, but Regalia and her posy take him to the brink. His strength, bravery and inherent niceness is something I love about him.
- Poor Prof is suffering big time! Regalia is pushing him to his limits and beyond. Can he rein in his other self before it's too late??
- Sanderson also introduces a few more characters. The Bablyon Restored branch of the Reckoners include, Val, Excel and Missy. Missy is another awesome character with her upbeat attitude. Her and David get on well together.
- Then we have the High Epics of Babylon Restored- Regalia - the self appointed Queen of Bablyon Restored, Obiteration - well from his name his powers are pretty obvious, and Dawnslight - the mysterious Epic that the people seem to pray to.
- Now, again, I thought how could the author top NewCago for a setting and again he did! Babylon Restored (Old Manhattan) is, basically, nearly underwater. Regalia wields water and has submerged most of the place so she can get around easy. Most people live on the higher levels and on roofs. The buildings are joined together by bridges, just look at the cover above and you get the idea! It was the perfect setting for this book.
- Plot wise, Sanderson outdoes himself again. He continues to throw twists and turns at every opportunity. He is the master of storytelling!!! We learn a little more about Calamity, we also learn more about Prof and Firefight. Sandersons propensity for weaving a tale that you immediately dive into, to his characters that you cant help but love is phenomenal!
- Firefight was an action packed, intense and at times emotional read. Everything about it is sheer perfection in a book. It has something to appeal to everyone and I seriously urge everyone to pick up a copy of this series, you wont regret it!! Another Epic addition to this amazing series.
- I listened to the audio and again MacLeod Andrews did an amazing job. He portrays David, and all the rest, perfectly. He pulls you into the story and you can feel the heartache, fear and hope from David perfectly. His portrayal of David and Prof are my favourites but no matter which character he does, he gives each a different "voice". As I said in a different review, he is fast becoming my favourite narrator!
- I just have one thing more to say about this book and that's go buy it NOW!!!
Sunday, 8 February 2015
Firefight by Brandon Sanderson Audiobook Review!
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Okay, I'm definitely going to make this my next audiobook read. I can always squeeze in another book for my daily commute!ReplyDelete
It is an amazing series and I urge everyone to try them!! :)Delete