Saturday 13 December 2014

The Last Mission of The Living by Rhiannon Frater Review!


22535323Buy The Book Now at The Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

Title : The Last Mission of The Living
Author : Rhiannon Frater
Pages : 382
Published : August 28th 2014
Source : Tour Host
Purchase : Amazon / iTunes 

Humanity teeters on the brink of extinction...

Vanguard Lindsay Rooney has faced the undead hordes of Inferi Scourge and lived to tell the tale, but she has also suffered horrible losses. Like millions of other civilians, she had hoped that The Bastion would recover after a team of modified soldiers eradicated the undead hordes of Inferi Scourge that infested their valley. Yet the city still crumbles around them, along with any chance of survival.

Lindsey’s growing friendship with Torran MacDonald, an officer with the Science Warfare division, is her only solace as the decline of the city continues. When food riots fill the streets, martial law is enacted, and the upper echelons of government battle for control of the city, Lindsey is conscripted by her superiors to embark on a dangerous mission into the dead world beyond The Bastion. To add even more complications, Torran and the SWD join the squad. 

Soon, Lindsey realizes that her mission is more than what it seems, and there are secrets that could both destroy The Bastion and take her life.


My Thoughts :

Book 1 of this really blew me away (check my review HERE) so I was expecting big things for this. Well I'm thrilled to say that, even though it doesn't focus on the same characters, it's just as good as the first. I absolutely loved it and devoured the book in only a few days. Considering its a long book, that just shows how good it is!!

This one features Marias best friend Lindsey. I loved Lindsey in The Last Bastion of the Living and am glad she got her own book. 

Character wise, Lindsey is an awesome heroine. Even though she has her disability, she is still kick ass. She isn't afraid to stand her own ground and get down and dirty with her crew. She is strong, really smart and an all round kick ass girl! 

Then we have yummy Torran MacDonald. He was constabulary but is now SWD. He is sent on a mission into the inferi scrag horde but unfortunately things go wrong and apart from him, his whole squad is destroyed. Torran ends up running for his life and gets help from Lindseys squad. Both strike up a friendship, which develops from there. Torran is so brave, strong and down right hot!! He stole a bit of my heart! 

Plot wise, it's not as focused on the inferi scrag as book 1 but is still just as good. Torran and Lindsey are sent on missions to retrieve food from the outside. But their mission is compromised and Lindsey and Torran end up stranded in Inferi Scrag infested areas and have to run for their life. This edition is more politically focused and character focused then book 1 but I enjoyed it non the less. 

The romance in this is intense and strong but I loved seeing Lindsey and Torrans friendship develop. They are such a great match together. 

Anyway, overall I absolutely loved this book. It's an intense, suspenseful read and one I know will stay with me. Lindsey and Torrans story wrapped up well but I hope we haven't seen the end of this world the author created. It's such a terrifying world but one that will drag you in. Rhiannon Frater has such a phenomenal mind and with every book I read by her, it just cements my love for her written word. She is fast becoming one of my favourite authors. 

She puts so much depth to her characters and world that it's hard to leave them. The Last Mission of the Living is one of those books that you wish you could read again for the first time. It's such a unique and thrilling story and I would highly recommend to everyone. You are taken on a terrifying journey along with the characters, that will have you on the edge of your seat the whole way through and leave you reeling. It will grab you an not let go!! An amazing series by an amazing author.


2 comments:

  1. I like it when minor characters become main characters! I'm not fond of zombie books, but I'm glad you liked this one. Sometimes political intrigue and characters is better than action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, especially when I really liked the minor characters :) I really enjoyed this book!!

      Delete