Thursday 18 December 2014

Bound by Blood by Margo Bond Collins Review!

23387619
Title : Bound by Blood
Author : Margo Bond Collins
Published : November 10th 2014
Source : From Author
Purchase : Amazon 

Sometimes the monsters in the dark are real... 

As a child, Lili Banta ignored her grandmother's cryptic warnings to avoid children outside their Filipino community in Houston. When many of those other children fell ill, Lili ignored the whispers in her community that a vampiric aswang walked among them. 

Years later, Lili returns to Houston to work for the Quarantine Station of the Center for Disease Control—but she is plagued by dark, bloody dreams that consume her nights and haunt her days. When a strange illness attacks the city's children, Lili is called in to find its source, and maybe even a cure. 

But in order to save the city, she must first acknowledge the sinister truth: A monster stalks the night—closer than she ever expected.... 

My Thoughts : 

The first thing to grab my attention with this book was the awesome cover!! It's so creepy. Then I read the blurb and thought it very intriguing :) The blurb sums up the story so let's get right to the review.

This is my first book by this author, and even though it's only a novella, it won't be my last. I really enjoyed this. I loved the idea of the unknown virus that is sweeping Houston. It's been seen before but not for many years. When 2 young kids come in with it, Lili knows she has seen this before. She remembers it from when she was a child and her Grandmother told her about the Aswang, a vampiric like thing. But that's only legend, isn't it??

Lili was an awesome character. She is smart, brave and does what needs to be done, despite the consequences. She works for the CDC and is brought in because of the weird nature of the virus. She knows something isn't right with this and when she learns the truth, it changes her life forever. 

Anyway, this is a short book but it has everything you need. I started reading and couldn't stop till I had finished the book. It really grabs you and pulls you in. The story is interesting and the plot is fast paced. I hope there is more in this world because it really is a very interesting idea. 



2 comments:

  1. I've seen this author around lately. I've actually heard of an aswang before, very creepy. I like a good virus story and I'm glad to hear the characters are good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't but will keep an eye out for more of her books :) I too love a good virus story!!!!

      Delete