Saturday 6 December 2014

A Time Of Demons by Kathryn Meyer Griffith Review!

8590675

Title : A Time Of Demons
Author : Kathryn Meyer Griffith
Pages : 478
Published : May 30th 2010
Publisher : Damnation Books
Source : Audio Book via Author

Since Cassandra Graystone was a child and her family perished in a fire she knows and sees things other people don’t…when someone will die or that a demon lurks beneath a human skin. She sees phantoms. Yet she craves a simple life singing out with her musician brother, Johnny, and caring for her elderly aunt and uncle; to be with her friends, Sarah, a psychic, and Walter, a clown in a carnival circuit. But when Sarah sees apocalyptic events in her tarot cards and demons are everywhere, Cassandra fears she’s going insane or something terrifying is happening in the world.
Rayner, an ancient blood demon, lodges next door. He becomes obsessed with her. Never having felt pity or affection for a human before he believes he loves her, would die to protect her. The demon realm gathers for the final confrontation between us, Rayner warns. The apocalypse comes. You and your friends must prepare.
Cassandra flees that knowledge until an angelic being, Manasseh, appears. Your powers will grow. You must fight for humanity’s survival after the first wave is taken. Seek out others like you. Persuade them to join the battle. Only these can see and challenge the demons until the end when all eyes see them. She doesn't want her life to change; doesn't want to be a nomad who battles demons. Doesn't want to be anyone’s protector. Until a tornado flattens Sarah’s house. Johnny’s apartment. There are monsters maiming and killing everywhere. Demons persecute her and those she loves, burn down her home and force her family and friends onto the road, as everywhere cataclysmic weather and signs of the end days make things hellish for humans. Cassandra and her friends can no longer deny their destinies. They must fight…or see the remnants of humanity engulfed in flames. 


My Thoughts : 

This is the first book I've read by this author and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. The blurb pretty much sums up the story so I'll go straight on to the review. 

Character wise, I really liked Cassandra. Apart from Johnny, she lost most of her family to a fire and since then can see weird stuff. She sees horrible things under peoples faces and she can also see when someone will die. She only recently realised that what she is seeing are Demons. Despite how scary it is for her, she is such a brave, no nonsense girl. She is terrified of what she sees but her thoughts are with her Uncle, Aunt, Brother and Best Friend. She always puts them first.

Sarah is a physic and Cassandras best friend. She reads cards and lately the cards are pointing towards a cataclysmic event and Sarah doesn't know what to do. She keeps warning Cassandra but Cassie keeps playing it off. She stands by Cassandra no matter what and I loved their friendship.  I also loved the introduction to Walter, Sarahs' boyfriend and another person that can see the Demons for what they are. 

Raynor is a Demon, and I loved the fact we got to see parts from his point of view. He was definitely interesting and I can't wait to find out what happens next for him.

Plot wise, I also really enjoyed it. We all know of the end days, but what happens when it actually is coming!! Cassandra is one chosen by God to lead others like her in the battle of all battles. At the moment she has to deal with a series of cataclysmic events and demons trying to kill her. Will she be tough enough to lead an army against the horde of Demons that are coming!! 

This book isn't the most action packed book, don't get me wrong it has pleanty of action, its more of a character driven story. I loved how three dimensional her characters are and how much they grow throughout the story. We see the story through multiple point of views, which I liked and we meet many wonderful characters. 

Anyway, Kathryn Meyers Griffith can definitely tell you a story. Her writing is rich in detail which helps to draw you in. She definitely put a lot of thought and energy into this book and it shows. I can't wait for book 2 to see what happens the gang!

I listened to the audio of this and the narrator, Wendy Tremont King did an awesome job. Her tone and her use of different voices and accents was so well done. The book is quite long but Wendy makes it feel so much shorter. She added that much extra to the story and I'll definitely check out more read by her. Overall, it's a great book to listen to and I can't wait to check out more from Kathryn.



4 comments:

  1. Natalie,
    thank you for the review and for reading my book A TIME OF DEMONS. I hope to someday write its sequel...but have been waiting until I get the full rights back to it from my publisher next year. Warmly, Kathryn Meyer Griffith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome. I really enjoyed it and hope that you do write book 2.

      Delete
  2. The premise of Cassandra (original name for a seer) seeing things under the skin is cool. The blurb was way too long for me, I prefer them to hint more than outline the whole book. I'm a little nervous about her being chosen by god, but I do like character driven novels. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats what drew me to the book in the first place, I thought her seeing demons was cool. I know what you mean about the blurb and I agree! I was nervous at the start because I was worried it would be very preachy, but it wasnt!!

      Delete